The Ruoss Crew

Feel free to laugh at us....not just with us!

Wednesday, August 03, 2011

One Post Every 6 or 8 Months Isn't Bad, Right??

Things have been so busy for so long I have forgotten the practice of putting our lives in print! I really enjoy going back and reading all that we have done in past years, so it's a good discipline for me, if nothing else. Aside from that, days like today demand an outlet so...here I am.

Jacob just got back from his trip to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. He and six other Scouts (along with four leaders including Kermit) spent two weeks backpacking in the mountains. He had a blast and came back lighter, full of stories and much, much stinkier. Did I mention that two weeks in the mountains with no deo or showers will really make a bunch of guys stink? Oh yeah, and they really stank! Aside from the wretched stench riding the train with them back from Chicago (which arrived four hours late), it was great to hear all about their travels, the things they learned and how they all now want to go to Sea Base. Aaaaahhhh! Another trip! Jake is also excited that he starts his new job tomorrow and that he will be a junior in high school in two weeks (ok, so he's not really excited about the school part). Oh, and he went on a World Changers mission trip in June which was a lot of fun even though it was "only in Indianapolis".

Hannah has not been enjoying her summer. She has enjoyed not having to get up early but she has not enjoyed being away from her friends all the time. Unfortunately for her, all of her friends live on the other side of town so she has not had as much of a social life as she would have liked. She recently got a new haircut that she loves and was allowed to get a few highlights for the first time (this took years of begging and wearing down). She also went on the World Changers trip in June. She has already started her high school band prep by attending weekly practice. She marched in her first parade on July 2 (in the blazing heat) and is very excited about band camp coming up over the next two weeks. Most excitedly for Hannah is that she is finding high school boys are much more interesting than junior high boys (she would kill me for saying that).

Lily has been playing all summer. We got a used quick-set pool at a friends yard sale so she has been splashing with the neighborhood kids. She has stayed home with Jake and Hannah all summer except for the week that they were gone on the mission trip. She attended day camp for that one week and decided she was glad to be able to stay home and sleep in. She has struggled a bit with not having a schedule (she NEEDS a schedule) but has faired ok. She is very excited for school to start again since she found out that she will have the same teacher for third grade that she had for second. She continues to make us laugh and make us pull our hair out (usually by fighting with her sister)! She is very creative and loves to write letters and songs.

Kermit went on the Philmont trip with Jake. To say it kicked his butt would be an understatement, but he enjoyed it just the same. He was so excited to have completed one of the most difficult treks and lived to tell about it! He picked up the name "black water" while he was there since the crew had to keep telling him to "keep on rollin'". It was a great time for him and Jake to spend together and he is so grateful for the opportunity to go. Now he is trying to figure out what program he wants to follow to keep off the 27 pounds he lost!

I have been here holding it all together! I took a week off work to spend with the girls while K & J were on their trip. We got mani-pedis, spent a day at Lake Michigan, went to the mall, etc. It was a great week. Oh, and I redid our bathroom while they were gone, too. This was a great surprise for Kermit since he didn't have to do anything except hang the towel rack. I even laid the replacement tiles that have been missing for waaay too long! I was so glad to have them back. I realized that I guess I could be a single mom if I had to, but I sure wouldn't like it (kudos to all you single moms out there!)! I was just glad it wasn't during school when the kids have full schedules. I also realized I really miss the company of my husband when he is not there and we can't talk by phone. Not that I didn't know this already, but it was particularly clear on this trip (kudos to all you military wives out there that go long periods without their spouses!). So happy they are back and they didn't get their faces eaten by a bear : )

That just about catches us up...I'm sure there is so much more but there is only so much time for blogging. Right now it's time for bed!

1 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger The Man Crew said...

Candy, I hear ya! It's been months and months since I've been regularly posting and I miss it! I miss letting people enjoy our adventures (from a safe distance, LOL) let the grammies catch up on pictures and just the blessing of being able to share. I'm so glad to hear that all is well in the busy, busy life of the Ruoss crew :) Having spent some time *sorta* recently with them, I can honestly say that they are all a delight to spend time with and be around. You are Kermit must be doing something right *winks* Glad to see you on again, and hoping that you will find time to do this more often. Not only for our benefit, but for yours. Blogging is such great fun!
Love you all, ~K~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home