The Ruoss Crew

Feel free to laugh at us....not just with us!

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Fair vs Just

Why is it that life seems so unfair at times? Have you ever noticed how some people move through life with very little resistance while others can't seem to catch a break for anything? I know a few people who just seem to get hit over and over again. Just when things start to seem ok, something else happens.

One of these people is very dear to me and my heart aches for her every time something new happens. She tries very hard to have a positive attitude and to rely on the God that she knows cares for her and is working on her behalf, but sometimes it gets hard for her to handle it all. She had another one of those things happen today....it has been tough on her.

Although I know she has never said "this is not fair", others who know her have said those words for her. In the beginning I was inclined to agree, mostly out of raw, human emotion. But then the Lord helped me remember that His word never describes Him as "fair", but instead describes Him as "just". I believe there is a difference.

Fairness gives evil for evil and plays favorites to those who are favorable. It is tit for tat. It's definition changes from person to person because fairness is always driven by an individual's own perceptions of what is right and equal. Because of this, we often mess up "fairness" because we get our own agendas involved.

Being "just" is a different story. Justice can only be handled by God because it is based on HIS righteousness, not our perception of right. It is based on HIS view of the big picture, not our view of the immediate circumstances that plague us.

If God had been FAIR to us, we would have all been consumed long ago and all of our eternities would be sealed in a devil's hell. BUT PRAISE GOD THAT HE IS NOT FAIR!! Instead, He is compassionate and JUST! His wisdom goes far beyond what we can comprehend so He is able to see beyond the present into eternity to see how all of these "unfair circumstances" will pan out in the end. HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING!

Now, I don't claim that it is always easy and I don't claim that everything that comes our way should make us say "yippee!", but I am sayind that we need to remember that "fair" is a human word. God is in the business of justice!

6 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Blogger The Man Crew said...

Oh Candy....WONDERFUL! AMEN and amen! I fret about the fairness of life sometimes...or lack there of, but you have hit tha nail on the head yet again...BRAVA!! I'll keep on praying for our special friend as I know you are as well. Have a great week and keep up the great writing!!
HUGS~~Kristy

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like your opinion on being fair. But what about having a different example other than God for just.

 
At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent Post! Everytime I complain that life is "not fair," a friend of mine always reminds me that I do not want what is fair! Thanks be to God that He is just!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree. I have 7 kids and one has walked completely away from God while the rest are loving and serving him. He wants to be treated with fairness, but he has already created an unequal playing field by his actions. He fails to realize that if there was no justice, the means by which standards are defined, there can be no appeal to fairness. Some day when he meets the Judge, he too will realize that his appeal to fairness was not only false, but undesirable. For his actions will have dictated a much greater punishment than fairness would have meted out. What he really needs is an understanding of justice, then an application of mercy, in order to make the playing field level once again.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Amen!

Thanks your blog gave me hope and gives me a better perspective on thing..

Praise God for he is JUST! We just need to trust him for he always has plans for us.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Amen to that!

Your blog is such heart-warming. It gave me a better perspective on things.

Thank God for he is JUST!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home