The Ruoss Crew

Feel free to laugh at us....not just with us!

Sunday, March 08, 2009

What I Have Learned

Last Thursday I had all four wisdom teeth cut out. The top two were rooted up into my sinus cavity and the bottom two were rooted up against the nerve bundles that run along the jawline. I have spent the last four days on the couch or in the recliner with a bilateral ice pack on my face. Glamorous...I know. The left side of my face is doing ok with minimal swelling. The right side, though, has swollen to outrageous proportions. I have seriously looked like I was holding a baseball in my cheek. It has gone down a little but has moved into my neck and up into my eye. The pain has actually not been bad, but the swelling is not comfortable.

With all this sitting around, I have had time to learn a few things:

- I always thought I handled pain well. Mouth pain is different and I now realize I really am a big baby.
- Sammie's has the best milkshakes in town, HANDS DOWN!
- Milkshakes are good, but one a day for four days is just too much. No more, please.
- Soup is great, but watching your husband eat an egg roll in front of you while you have to stick to the egg drop soup is just cruel and unusual punishment.
- Losing four teeth is a great excuse to have a Venti Frap.
- Children who usually fuss and roll their eyes at the thought of doing anything extra become super helpful when mom isn't feeling her best. I might be able to use this knowledge to my advantage at a later time.
- Six year olds have a hard time covering their true feelings when trying to make you feel better. They say things like "your face looks better...well, a tiny bit anyway".
- That same six year old makes my heart melt when she says "give me a pageant kiss (aka an air kiss) so I don't hurt your face" or "if you want something, all you have to do is let me know. I'm a great helper."
- Not eating for four days is a great way to lose 10 pounds.
- I could never be anorexic. I need real food.
- Big rear ends hurt after four days of sitting.
- Laughter is the best medicine until it pulls your stitches.
- I love serving my family and I do not like it when I cannot do things for them.
- My husband is the greatest and is willing to do whatever needs to be done to help me when I need it. He is a blessing!

So, all in all it has been a interesting ride. The family has been great and I am looking forward to things getting back to normal...quickly, I hope.

2 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger The Man Crew said...

OH my...deep thoughts! Love some of them...especially the ones about Lily and her helpfulness and pagaent kisses! As for helpful hubbies, well, I was commenting on facebook just the other day about what a prize your hubby is! You are a blessed woman...even swollen, sore and cut up. As for being anorexic, I'm soooo in agreement with you in that one...I need FOOD! I hope you get to feeling better soon. Miss you bunches and if I was there, I would give you a pagaent kiss too! Love and hugs,
Kristy

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candy...I DO hope you are doing better. I don't envy you one bit. I'm chicken of the dentist too. You have a wonderful family to help you and I am soooo proud of them. Get well soon.
Love you,
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home